Paris apartment

UPDATE: Cause of Paris apartment fire revealed

[ad_1]

PARIS, Ill. (WTWO/WAWV) – UPDATE: On Thursday, the Edgar County Coroner’s Office released new information about an early morning apartment fire that occurred Oct. 1 during of which two Parisians were discovered dead.

Edgar County Coroner Scott Barrett said the cause of death for one of the residents, 52-year-old Tammi Keefer, was smoke inhalation. His manner of death was deemed accidental.

Toxicology results showed the second resident, Bobby Turner, 72, died of natural causes before the fire started.

Investigators determined that the fire started near a wall of the first floor apartment in which Turner lived. They believe the probable cause of the fire was smoking materials.


ORIGINAL: According to Edgar County Coroner Scott Barrett, two Parisians died Saturday after an early morning apartment fire.

The Edgar County dispatcher received a call at 6:07 a.m. from a resident saying her apartment was on fire and she was unable to get out of her second floor unit. The apartment complex has four units and is located at 501 South Central Street.

Upon arrival, first responders found the structure completely submerged. Building occupants were able to get out and told first responders that two tenants were missing.

Firefighters found the body of Tammi Keefer, 52, in her upstairs apartment. It was later determined that she received the initial 911 call. Subsequently, the body of Bobby J. Turner, a 72-year-old man, was found in his ground floor apartment.

Barrett declared both dead at the scene.

Two tenants have been sent to nearby hospitals and both are expected to be released.

Autopsies will be performed Monday morning in Champaign, Illinois, by medical examiner Dr. Shiping Bao. The incident is still under investigation by the Illinois State Fire Marshal, Paris Fire Department, Paris Police and Count Edgar.

[ad_2]
Source link